In the 6
In the 6 is a category on the Extra Categories leaderboard, in where runners get stuck in the "6" in Bowser's Front Door. This run is most often performed with the Orb glitch in order to skip Iggy's Castle and Cutscene. Another method is to use ACE or Arbitrary Code Execution. A guide on In The 6 ACE is available under the Ace Guide section.
- Yoshi's Island 2
- Yoshi's Island 3
- Yoshi's Island 4
- Iggy's Castle
- Donut Plains 1 (Secret)
- Donut Secret 1 (Secret)
- Donut Secret House (Secret)
- Star World 1 (Secret)
- Star World 2 (Secret)
- Star World 3 (Secret)
- Star World 4 (Secret)
- Front Door
ACE is Arbitrary Code Execution. The player writes specific bytes of data in the game by performing specific actions on specific frames or pixels in the game. The player then forces the game to read the arbitrarily written code, in where the game executes the arbitrarily written code.
The ACE route is slightly different that the normal In The 6 route. The route first goes to Yoshi's Island 1 and writes some bytes of code. The route then goes to Yoshi's Island 2 and writes more bytes of code before performing the RLX item swap and executing the arbitrary code. The route then goes to the pipe where the game warps you to Bowser's Front Door instead of the Yoshi's Island 1 sub-level.
This video shows a real time route for In The 6 ACE:
Video: In the 6 ACE Route Source: MostlySMW
The description has some very important information as well: One important thing: Make sure not to lick any berries once you're in YI2 (running into them is ok). If you lick a berry, it overrides the values you set when you were in YI1.
There is also an In The 6 ACE Pastebin by MostlySMW:
Go to YI1, get a powerup in reserve and drop it so it sets $EF to 19, then get another powerup and drop it so it sets $EE to C7. Kill yourself and get back to YI2. Do everything normal, except make sure to kill the red shell after the message box and the 2 naked koopas. Do all the shells, up until the slot 7 one, where things get a little weird. You have to first kill the slot 9 koopa, do the turn around and the shell kick upwards, THEN spit it where it needs to be. You'll also have to use the fireball from that last koopa during the swap, since you killed the other red koopa. After you spit the shell, just continue and do the swap
There is a ROM by MostlySMW that will be extremely beneficial while attempting to perform the In The 6 ACE. Click this Link for the ROM.
If the file above fails to load, here is a link to the photo.
This is the order in which the bytes are written to SMW's memory addresses.
- 20 & E5 - Controller 2 Button Setup: L + Select + Y + B + Down + Right.
- 19 - YI1 Mushroom Drop
- C7 - YI1 2nd Mushroom Drop
- 1A - 1UP Shell Sprite Despawn Velocity
- FC - Shell Spit
- A9 - Shell Spit
- D0 - Shell Spit
- 92 - Shell Spit
- EE - Shell Spit
- 4C - Shell Spit
- 87 - Shell Spit
- 80 - Shell Turnaround
- 18 - Shell Kick Upwards
- EF - Shell Spit
In the photo, the 76 and 04 are explained below.
Here is a little more in-depth explanation on how to achieve all of the values. Written in the order as seen in the photo.
- FC - The first shell in the level, shell spit on a specific pixel.
- A9 - After respawning all the Koopas (by running left), grab the last Koopa and shell spit on a specific pixel.
- D0 - After respawning all the Koopas (by running right), grab the first Koopa and shell spit on a specific pixel.
- 92 - After respawning all the Koopas (by running left), grab the last Koopa and shell spit on a specific pixel.
- EE - After respawning all the Koopas (by running right), grab the first Koopa and shell spit on a specific pixel.
- 4C - After respawning all the Koopas (by running left), grab the last Koopa and shell spit on a specific pixel.
- 87 - After respawning all the Koopas (by running right), grab the first Koopa and go under the platform; shell spit on a specific pixel.
- EF - Grab the shell with Yoshi and spit out the shell on a specific pixel.
- 04 - This value corresponds to Yoshi's X-Position. When performing the RLX Cloud setup, this value should be around F6.
- 76 - This value corresponds to a Sprite Slot's X-Position. However, we can ignore this value as it is of no use to the player.
- C7 - Collect the Fire Flower and then set up the screen with another screen scroll and drop the mushroom.
- 19 - You collect the first two mushrooms in the level and then drop the first one after setting up the screen with a screen scroll.
- 80 - Stomp on the first Koopa with Yoshi and dismount. Bounce off the final Koopa and kill the shell-less Koopa. Go right, then go left and perform the shell turnaround (quickly press right, then go left).
- 18 - Position the screen on a specific pixel, then kick the shell up. Then go to a spot off to the left and kick the shell up on a specific pixel.
- 1A - 1UP Shell Sprite Despawn Velocity. Setup by scrolling the screen and seeing when the top-right shell fragment despawns.
- 20 & E5 - This is the same byte that was used in the former 0 Exit strats. The button setup is: L + Select + Y + B + Down + Right.
- 14 - This value corresponds to the X-Position of the item in Yoshi's Mouth. It can be useful when setting up sprite slots.
Once all these values are setup, do the RLX item swap to achieve the Cloud and sucessfully execute the code. The pipe that leads to a sub-level will instead warp you to Bowser's Front Door. If the item swap did not execute or did not execute properly, the warp will NOT work.